Cupcakes, Coffee, and my other favorite things

Cupcakes, Coffee, and my other favorite things

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Dance Diary Entry #1

I have found my favorite class in NYC

And it is Jeff Shades Int. Theatre Dance Tues/Thurs 7:45 class at Steps.

Lately I have been feeling Wah Wah as a dancer.... not bad... just wah wah.
It's like when you watch So You Think You Can Dance and get depressed cause you're just not as good as those bitches on the show.... or Dance Moms

I'm not a contemporary dancer.... this I know. I was never trained to be a contemporary dancer. Every now and then I took a modern class which was fun and all but my training has always been Ballet and Theatre Dance... I mean, look at  my parents.

I am very proud of who I am as a dancer but last week I took my first contemporary class and realized I still have so many other styles to learn. And being the crazy person that I am I tell myself if I'm not amazing at these other styles in a week I'm a failure....

Yes, I am aware how annoying and crazy I am.

My friend always talked to me how amazing Jeff Shade's class is. So I was excited when I signed up for it. Going to a new class at Steps can be every intimidating though... Most of the dancers in these classes (esp. Theatre Dance) take this class regularly, are really fierce, probably dance on Broadway, and kinda assume that short blonde shy girl is probably a high school kid visiting on break.

But anyway I get over my awkwardness and get to class.

I was thoroughly enjoying class from the second it started. Jeff is such a positive person but still demands excellence. And everyone taking it was having a blast! It was a great energy that can't help but be contagious.

There was a moment when I was watching the boy's group do the combo we had learned when it hit me "I love being a Musical Theatre dancer!" I guess I had kind of forgotten. The combo was so classic and clean and fun. *Hit one* *turn two three* Jack cole runs, X poses... it was exciting to watch and see the other dancers so into the character and the moment of the dance.

And then dancing it was just even better. It was a great reminder to me about why I am doing what I am doing.

So ya know, Yeah i'll keep working on contemporary (especially cause i wanna dance in Wicked), and yeah I'll keep drooling over Mia Micheals Choreo and Maddie on Dance Moms, but then I'll remember how I feel when I am dancing in a show.... and I'll smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment